Camborne Town Deal are delighted to share a first look at our vision for the future of the town. Crafted by the Town Deal Board in response to feedback from the community, it gives a true flavour of the vision and values of the Town Deal Project.
At our vision’s heart is an iconic, architecturally designed community, business and cultural space that will provide a living, bustling, vibrant hub where locals and visitors can work, live, play, learn and care. It will be a place to spend time, create and achieve. It will have a real sense of energy and optimism.
We are inviting the local community to get involved. If you, or your organisation or community group, have a project proposal that would fit well with this vision for the town, we’d love to hear from you.
The vision driving the Town Deal bid is to return Camborne to being a place where the extraordinary becomes possible. We see Camborne as an innovative, inspiring, welcoming town, which is generous of spirit and aspirational in its aims.
- It will be a healthy, clean, proud and loved town that celebrates its rich history and heritage/achievements which will in turn help act as the catalyst for its bold look to the future.
- Residents will have access to services and facilities that will enable them to thrive, including world class education and training opportunities.
- We see high quality green infrastructure permeated throughout the town – including a network of pedestrian and cycle paths, featuring history and health, which are routed in the town centre but spread out like plant tendrils into surrounding communities.
- We will explore pedestrianisation for the town centre and will play on the level geography which makes it ideal for pedestrians, cyclists as well as people with mobility challenges.
- This will allow the introduction of a healthy natural element, with cared for plants, trees, and flowers that link to the architecture and spaces.
- A celebratory covered piazza will host and stimulate an array of cultural performance, creative expression and entertainment, markets, cafes, bars and restaurants, street food and independent and artisan crafts and retailers.
- There will be street theatre and exhibitions as well as just places to walk or sit and watch the world go by.
- Exciting, high quality workplaces will be home to businesses from single artisan crafts people to entrepreneurial tech start-ups and small companies who want to be located on the digital high street of Cornwall. That street will continue after work as people stay on to meet friends and family to enjoy Cornwall’s only urban promenade.
- The centre of the town will be linked to the rest of the town through innovative sustainable transport solutions and we will major on electric buses to achieve strong connectivity to the railway station, and to nurture cycling and walking routes.
Grounded and affordable, safe and accessible, with its community spirit woven through every aspect, Camborne will be a place for everyone.
Camborne Town Deal Board was formed this summer to identify and implement projects in the town that will help build a prosperous future through innovative regeneration.
As one of 100 towns throughout the UK to be selected for the Government’s Towns Fund Deal, Camborne now has the opportunity to bid for up to £25million of funding, and the Board will submit this bid in January 2021.
If you, or your organisation or community group, have a proposal for a project that aligns with our vision and goals, we’d love to hear from you.
Please contact Len Smith, the Camborne Town Deal Project Co-ordinator, by emailing him on [email protected] or call him on 07932 025451.